Search through blog..

Sunday, May 3, 2015

How to Fix Reporting services in Microsoft Demo VM

Microsoft Demo VMs are really useful if you are aiming to quickly understand a particular AX component or even to quickly go ahead with a specific development. However, it comes with default settings and thus might cause some issues regarding few components around AX. Today, I have seen such issue with Reporting Services in my AX 2012 R3 Microsoft demo VM. 

Error received when I click "Create report folder" in "Report Servers" AX form. 
The report server installation is not initialized

Also when I checked in the EventLog, the below errors were logged. 
Report Server (MSSQLSERVER) cannot connect to the report server database.
&
Web service request FindItems to Report Server http://bakedev02-1-1/reportserver/ReportService2010.asmx failed with SoapException. Error: The report server installation is not initialized.

When I check the "Reporting Services Configuration Manager", everything looks normal. However, I could NOT successfully load the "Report Manager URL" nor the "Report Server Web service URL". I could connect and test the Database connection successfully though. 

One difference I have noticed from a working instance is that the "Backup" and "Change" buttons were disabled under the "Encryption keys" tab in the Reporting Service Configuration Manager


Solution I applied: 

After a bit of troubleshooting, the solution which worked for me is quite simple - the below two steps: 

  • Go to "Encryption keys" tab and click button Delete in the "Delete Encrypted content" group
  • Go back to the main node and "Stop" and "Start" the service. 
I followed the change with two more steps in order to get AX reports up and running: 
  • Creating a new folder "DynamicsAX" in the Reporting Service URL via Dynamics AX "Report Servers" form. (Path: Dynamics AX Client >> File >> Tools >> Business Intelligence (BI) tools >> Report Servers) 
  • And publishing the standard AX reports from "Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Management Shell" >> Publish-AXReport -ReportName *
Hope this helps!

No comments: